Monday, May 29, 2017

149/365 keeping my culture alive

As you know, my parents are immigrants from the Philippines.  Their first language isn't English, but Tagalog and Ilocano.  Tagalog is the main language of the Philippines.  Ilocano is the dialect of where my family came from in the Philippines.  The Philippines is made up of a lot of islands so many cities and communities have unique dialects.  I wish I learn how to speak Ilocano.  I wish I was one of the many generations to keep that dialect alive.

I never realized how privileged I am to be able to master a second language.  It definitely is a perk when your family's history is in a whole other country.  And I know many others, regardless if they are this ethnicity could master this language as well... it's just... I had the ability to master it because I am already a part of that community.

So with that, I think I'm going to start teaching myself how to speak Ilocano.  It'll be tough... especially since I'm so old now.  But I think it's important to keep a part of my culture alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment