Thursday, May 25, 2017

146/365 college schooled me

I definitely wanted to go through all the memories of my four years at college... but I was just over the whole idea because those memories are stories within themselves and actually a lot to talk about. So! I decided to just sum it up in one big picture (as shown above).

My four years at this school really showed me that I couldn't be superwoman all the time. That was just it. In high school, I was involved in almost everything and anything I was interested in. I was definitely "well-rounded" in my high school years because I was able to balance my time between my education and extra-curricular activities.

Although, when it came to college, I fell apart. After my freshman year of college, I started opening up more and entrusting myself with activities that allowed me to add to the maryville community. I was a resident assisstant, I started the first club that featured asian and pacific islander culture, I got into the prestigious acapella group and I somehow managed to be inducted into honors programs. I did everything that made my soul move and ignited the fire of "passion". But soon enough, and I learned it the hard way, I couldn't do everything I wanted to do.

Pictured above, was exactly that. Every word in black were my priorities. Every word in the dark gray, were what mattered to me the most. And lastly the light gray words were the reason I came to college.

So what is really pictured here was a journey to find myself. I knew I went to college to get a jump start on my career and get a degree - but college schooled me. College allowed me to grow and become who I am today. All the words in black allowed me to build new characteristics, get me out of my comfort zone, and helped me grow "out of my old closet". These extra-curricular activities molded me into the person I never would have expected to be.

The words in dark gray was who and what stuck beside me. No matter what I did, it/they were stagnant and plated a special role in my life, and I couldn't be even more appreciative for that. My most important people, and yes, homework & becoming a resident assistant (RA wasn't actually stagnant, but it was a role that helped me understand my anxiety/depression), were a support system that moved me. And without them/it, I don't think I would have actually finished college.

Finally, the words in light gray. These words were the reason I came to college. I had a clean slate. All I wanted to do was get in and out of class, study how ever much I needed to get A's, and then just eat, sleep, study, workout and repeat. But, that wasn't the case. Imagine if I stuck to that rhythm for all my college career? I think I would go insane.

Everything in that picture worked together for me. I couldn't be happier with who I am today and how my four years of college went. If I could do this all over again, there is room for improvement in certain areas, but other than that, maryville schooled me. And I'm glad that happened.

Love,
Mari J Leano


No comments:

Post a Comment